Certificate in Principle and Practice of Plant Pest and Disease Management
FacultyFaculty of Design and Environment
DepartmentDepartment of Environment
Programme NameCertificate in Principle and Practice of Plant Pest and Disease Management
Medium of InstructionEnglish
Venue(s)Technological and Higher Education Institute of Hong Kong,
30 Renfrew Road, Kowloon Tong, Kowloon
Hong Kong is in a sub-tropical climate, control of plant disease and insect pests is of particular importance to the effective management of urban greenery. Local expert in plant pathology and entomology is however very rare. As the first locally offered award-bearing course in the topic, THEi launched this programme to provide students a theoretical basis for traditional plant pathology and entomology. It also provides practical training for the students to understand plant diseases, their causal agents, and common pest problems. The students will apply the relevant knowledge to diagnose pest and disease problems and prescribe treatments for plant care. Certain emphasis will be placed on disease and pest problems of urban trees. It equips students with practical skills to plan and carry out experiments with microbial pathogens.
Dr. Teik Khiang GOH is a Professor and an expert in Plant Pathology. With his early education received in Malaysia, he obtained his Bachelor and Master degrees at the National Chung Hsing University in Taiwan and later completed his PhD degree at the University of Georgia in the US; all related to the area of plant pathology. Dr. GOH has extensive experience in teaching and research in Malaysia and Hong Kong in the field of mycology and plant pathology. He is currently a member of the Expert Panel on Tree Management under the Development Bureau of Hong Kong.
Mr. YIU Vor is an expert in Entomology. He obtained a Bachelor of Science in Environmental Life Science and Post-graduate Certificate in Education, both from the University of Hong Kong. He has several publications in relation to the local insect including some newly discovered ones. He is the founding chairman of the Hong Kong Entomological Society.
Assessment and Award
A student is eligible for the Certificate in Principle and Practice of Plant Pest and Disease Management award if all of the following conditions are satisfied:
- Accumulation of the 4 Credit Points;
- Attend at least 70% of contact hours of the programme; and
- Achieve a minimum average pass mark of 40% across all assessment items for the programme. Supplementary assessment or re-submission of assessment items may be arranged within 1 month after the end of the programme at the discretion of the Faculty.
- Five HKDSE subjects at Level 2 or above, including English and Chinese Languages, or equivalent; or
- Five HKCEE subjects at Grade E/ Level 2 or above, including English and Chinese Languages, or equivalent; or
- Completion of a relevant QF Level 3 programme that is acceptable to THEi;
- With at least 2 years working experience in the related fields.
Applicants will be considered for admission on individual basis. Interview may be required.
Tuition Fee / Tuition Fee and Caution Money
- The tuition fees: HK$9,520
Application form will be available for download 1-2 months before commencement of class in June 2017 tentatively
Tel: 3959 7323