Professional Diploma in Horticulture and Landscape Management
This programme is included under the Government’s pilot study scheme for students of professional part-time programmes in the 2016/17 academic year for students admitted to designated professional part-time programmes offered by VTC. Successful applicants will be refunded 60% of the tuition fees of eligible programmes, subject to a maximum of $45,000 per person. ETSS scheme details.
This professional programme is designed essentially to meet the demands from the industry for horticultural and arboricultural practitioners as well as landscape works supervisors. It provides a broad-based framework for the study of diploma level (Level 4) modules, and emphasizes horticultural principles and practices, plant science, and landscape management, blending together the essential intellectual and practical skills that match the industry’s requirements best. The programme will be delivered by face-to-face instruction. Within the 280 contact hours, various methods will be employed to facilitate learning and teaching, such as lecture, tutorial, workshop, practical session and site visit. By enrolling this programme, students will acquire the value, knowledge and skill for lifelong learning, and enhanced employability to enter the rapidly growing landscape and greening industry.
This programme is recognised by The Hong Kong Institute of Landscape Architects as fulfilling the academic requirement under their Accredited Arboricultural Practitioners’ Scheme (AAP).
Qualified teaching staff will include teachers from experienced specialists and professionals in the related field from both the public and private sectors.
- Five HKDSE subjects at Level 2 or above, including English Language and Chinese Language, or equivalent, with at least 2 years’ relevant working experience; or
- 5 passes in the HKCEE (including English Language – Grade E/ Level 2) or equivalent, with at least 2 years’ relevant working experience; or
- Mature applicants at the age of 23 or above by the commence day of the targeted round of programme offering, with at least 2 years’ relevant working experience.
Applicants with award(s) in relevant stream(s) will be considered case-by-case. Individual module exemption may be granted subject to THEi’s Academic Policies and Regulations.
Approximately 1 year
Part-time, weekday evening and/or weekend classes
Tuition Fee and Caution Money
Total HK$40,400 (HK$40,000 being the tuition fee and HK$400 being the caution money)
Class will run subject to sufficient enrolments. In the unlikely instance where a class has to be cancelled, cheques received for payment of tuition fee and caution money will be returned to applicants.
Assessment and Award
A student is eligible for the Professional Diploma in Horticulture and Landscape Management award if all of the following conditions are satisfied:
- Accumulation of 80 Credit Points;
- Attend at least 70% of contact hours for each module;
- Achieve a minimum average pass mark of 40% across all assessment items for each module. Supplementary exam or re-submission of assessment items would be arranged within 3 months of the end date of each module at the discretion of the module convenor.
Medium of Instruction
Cantonese and English
Hong Kong Design Institute, 3 King Ling Road, Tseung Kwan O, N.T. (next to Tiu Keng Leng MTR station)
Class B - commences around end April 2017
31 March 2017
Fees are subject to annual reviews. THEi reserves the right to cancel any programme/class, revise programme content or change the class commencement date/class venue if circumstances so warrant.