Programme #4 / LC / AY2019/20
Programme #4 Library Resources and Academic Writing
About the Programme
Library Search and Academic Writing Programme is offered by THEi Learning Commons. This programme aims to promote the skill for library search and academic writing and to prepare THEi staff and students for final year project work.
The programme is designed for all Thei staff and students.
The programme objectives are as follows:
- To enable staff and students to make use of library service and e-resources on learning and teaching
- To promote and develop the academic writing skills
Programme Learning Outcomes
It is intended that by the end of this programme, participants will be able:
- To identify different kinds of library materials quickly, applying e-reference sources effectively, and listing journal articles skillfully
- To appreciate library-hold learning materials and facilities, and online library catalogue system
- To analyze the connection between writing and thinking and use writing and reading for inquiry, learning, thinking, and communicating in an academic setting
The programme comprises five modules to reflect on participants' learning and teaching. It is a face-to-face learning module.
Mode of Delivery
A range of teaching and learning activities such as lectures, experience sharing, discussions and computer-based learning would be used.
Participating staff will be awarded Continuous Professional Development (CPD) hours and the record will be uploaded centrally by the HR.
Also, participants will be awarded an electronic Certificate of Attendance of the workshop.
Module 1: Introduction to Library System and E-Resources
To share VTC learning resources and use VTC library services, including:
1. EBSCO Discovery
- Communication Source
- Food Science Source
- Rehabilitation & Sports Medicine Source
- Applied Science & Technology Source
2. Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals
3. Harper's Bazaar Archive
4. INFOTRAC (Cengage)
- Culinary Arts Collection
- Gardening, Landscape and Horticulture Collection
- Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure Collection
5. IEEE – Computer Society Digital Library
6. 華藝線上圖書館 Airiti Library
7. IET e-book and TV respositories
Module 2: Library Search and Academic Writing Utilizing Academic e-Databases
- To analyze the literature review
- To analyze academic writing
- To explain the search and use of library resources, including e-database
- To explain APA citation style
Module 3: Data Analysis Using SPSS & SmartPLS (Structural Equation Modeling)
To introduce the process of data analysis using SPSS and SmartPLS:
- Descriptive statistics
- Instrument validation
- Regression analysis
- Measurement model & structural model
Module 4: Qualitative Data Analysis Using NVivo
Nvivo is the most powerful software for gaining richer insights from qualitative and mixed-methods data, Store and organize, Categorize and analyze, Visualize and discover.
Module 5: Citation Manager Tools (Google Scholar, RefWorks, Endnote, Mendeley)
1. Google Scholar
Google Scholar is a freely accessible web search engine that indexes the full text or metadata of scholarly literature across an array of publishing formats and disciplines.
It is a web-based commercial reference management software package.
EndNote is the industry standard software tool for publishing and managing bibliographies, citations and references on the Windows and Macintosh desktop.
It is a free reference manager and academic social network that can help you organize your research, collaborate with others online, and discover the latest research.
- Automatically generate bibliographies
- Collaborate easily with other researchers online
- Easily import papers from other research software
- Find relevant papers based on what you're reading
- Access your papers from anywhere online
- Read papers on the go, with our iOS and Android apps
3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
EBSCO Databases Workshop
Learning Commons E-classroom, THEi (Chai Wan)
|16/10/2019 (Wed)||3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.||IET Databases Workshop||Room 703, Computer Room, THEi (Tsing Yi)|
For enquiries, please contact: