Thei Learning Commons
THEi Learning Commons Team
(Left to Right): Ted Fung, Tommy Fong, Ginny Lau, Sin Lok Tung, Phyllis Yau, Dr. Ma, Alex Tsang, Iris Ling, Vinnie Kwok, Chris Luk, Tony Kwok
Dr. Will W. K. Ma
PhD, MPhil, MSc, Postgrad Cert in Education, BSc (Hons)
Learning Commons, Thei
"Learning commons, also known as scholars' commons, information commons or digital commons, are learning spaces, similar to libraries and classrooms that share space for information technology, remote or online education, tutoring, collaboration, content creation, meetings and reading or study.” (Wikipedia, 2017)
Thei Learning Commons
The Thei Learning Resources Centre (LRC) is renamed as Thei Learning Commons, with effect from September 1, 2017. Learning Commons consists of the Library Services, IT Support Services, and Learning and Teaching Support Services that aims at providing quality services to support students’ learning through both physical and virtual learning resources.
Learning Commons at Chai Wan Campus
A brand-new Thei Learning Commons at the new Chai Wan Campus is in operation in January 2018.
The Learning Commons includes two floors, including the inside connected First Floor and Ground Floor, with a total area of more than 1500 M2. The Learning Commons is designed to provide a comfortable, flexible and IT enhanced environment that promotes creativity, research and collaborative learning.
Facilities inside the Learning Commons include
- individual learning area,
- group discussion area,
- three group study rooms,
- one project room,
- an electronic classroom equipped with start-of-the-art software packages, 80" wireless visual interactive collaborative display, 3D printing, large size printing plotter, and scanning/printing/photocopying services.
The different learning areas are:
- Individual learning areas include All-in-One PCs and iMacs.
- Group discussion areas are supported with whiteboards and 32” LED TV display.
- Group study rooms are equipped with 65” wireless visual interactive collaborative display where students could interact in groups, rehearse presentations and take video recording in a quiet and comfortable environment.
There are about 200 seats and more than 80 computers installed inside the Learning Commons. In addition, 80 MacBook / PC notebook computers are available for individual student loan at the service counter.
Outside the two floors Learning Commons, on 3rd and 5th floor, there are four PC laboratories equipped with workstation PCs and printing services which are for more 160 students’ use, over 7/24 services.