Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) Building Services Engineering
FacultyFaculty of Science and Technology
Programme NameBachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Building Services Engineering
JUPAS Catalogue No - For Year 1 Entry
JSSV10 (SSSDP, Full-time)
Application for subsidised places under the Study Subsidy Scheme for Designated Professions/Sectors via JUPAS)
Programme Code - For Year 3 Entry ST145103 (SSSDP, Full-time)
ST525103 (Self-financed, Part-time Evening)
Application for places in Year-3 Entry via Through-train Scheme
(Applicable to VTC Higher Diploma Final Year Students and Graduates Only)
Application for places in Year-3 Entry via VTC Web-based Admission System
(Applicable to Non-VTC Sub-Degree Final Year Students and Graduates)
Application for Mainland Student via Mainland Admission System
Mode, Year of Study Accepting Entry & Duration of StudyFull-time: 4 Years (Year 1 Entry) / 2 Years (Year 3 Entry)
Part-time (Evening): 4 Years (Year 3 Entry)
Work-Study Scheme : 2 Years (Year 3 Entry) [Click HERE to know more about Work-Study Scheme]
Medium of InstructionEnglish
Venue(s)Programme core modules would be conducted at Tsing Yi campus and some General Education (GE) elective modules at other campuses
- Building Information Modelling Innovation Hub (BIMiHub)
- Indoor Environment & Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Electrical Services and Lighting Laboratory
- Piped and Fire Services Laboratory
- HVAC Laboratory
Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) in Building Services Engineering is recognised under the QF
QF Level: 5
QR Registration No.: 15/000513/L5
Registration Validity Period: 01/09/2015 to 31/08/2025
The programme aims to nurture students to become professional engineers for designing and managing the built environment and the building services systems. The programme combines theory and practice, covering carbon-reducing and energy-saving design methods and data-driven energy management technologies for the built environment and the building services systems, as well as large-scale construction project management skills, providing comprehensive training on the application of Building Information Modelling technologies. The programme focuses on broadening students’ horizons and, through the close partnership with the industry, providing 480 hours of internship work for students to fully understand the real-world operation of the industry, acquire practical skills, and prepare well for the future career.
Graduates are mainly engaged in industries related to built environment and building services engineering, providing professional design and management services for governments, developers, contractors, consulting firms and property or facility management companies. Attractive salaries in the industry are available, with graduates earning as high as HK$26,000 per month, and the employment rate of the graduates is over 98%. Some graduates also choose to pursue postgraduate studies at local, Mainland or overseas universities.
The programme has been fully accredited by the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE). Academic programmes accredited by HKIE for the Building Services Discipline are recognised by the UK's Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE) under reciprocal recognition. The programme is also accredited by the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ) and recognized by the Electrical and Mechanical Services Department (EMSD) of the HKSAR Government as satisfying the academic qualification requirement for the purpose of registration as Grade C electrical worker.
Entrance Requirements for Year 1:
Please refer to the General Entrance Requirements for details
Programme-specific Requirements :
- For applying on the basis of the HKDSE results :
- Level 3 or above in the HKDSE English Language and Chinese Language; AND Level 2 or above in the HKDSE Mathematics, Liberal Studies and one Elective Subject (if the elective subject is not Physics / Chemistry / Biology / Combined or Integrated Science, then Mathematics Extended Part (Module 1 or 2) must be at Level 2 or above); OR Equivalent.
- a maximum of two ApL subjects can be counted for admission purpose. Relevant ApL subjects include: Automotive Technology, Building Facilities Engineering, Building Technology, Aviation Studies, Electrical and Energy Engineering, Digital Construction, Constructing Smart Cities, Tech Basics and AI and Robotics.
- Applicants may be required to attend an interview.
Entrance Requirements for Year 3:
Higher Diploma OR equivalent sub-degree qualifications/studies in a relevant area of study.
- Additional core modules are required (with fee charged) for sub-degree graduates according to the educational background of individuals.
- All applicants are screened and selected by an Admission and Interview Panel. All interviews are conducted in English.
- For enquiry please contact Faculty of Science and Technology (Telephone No: 2176 1505 or Email: email@example.com).
Study Subsidy Scheme for Designated Professions/Sectors
This programme is in the Government's Study Subsidy Scheme for Designated Professions/Sectors (SSSDP). Please click here for more details. Admission to the subsidised places will be through the Joint University Programmes Admissions System (JUPAS) while admission to the self-financed places can be made through VTC Web-based Admissions System.
JUPAS Catalogue No.: JSSV10
- The tuition fees are charged according to the number of credit points taken during a semester.
- With the subsidy under the SSSDP, the tuition fee for academic year 2023/24 is HK$30,290 per academic year for Year-1 entry and HK$28,970 for Year-3 entry via the Full-time mode or the Work-Study Scheme. The tuition fee for academic year 2023/24 are $3,290 per credit point for Year-1 entry and $3,250 per credit point for Year-3 entry. Tuition fees are subject to annual reviews.
- The tuition fee for academic year 2023/24 in HK$3,250 per credit point for Year-3 entry via the Part-time mode (Completion of the programme requires obtaining not less than 66 credits). Tuition fees are subject to annual reviews.
- Individual modules of this programme are recognised by the Government’s Continuing Education Fund (CEF). Eligible applicants may submit an unlimited number of claims for reimbursement of fees on successful completion of the module up to a maximum sum of HK$25,000.