Professional Certificate Turfgrass Science and Management
This programme is included under the Government’s pilot study scheme for students of professional part-time programmes in the 2017/18 academic year for students admitted to designated professional part-time programmes offered by VTC. Successful applicants will be refunded 60% of the tuition fees of eligible programmes, subject to a maximum of $45,000 per person. ETSS scheme details.
This professional programme aims to equip students with a solid understanding and foundation in both theoretical and practical knowledge of turfgrass science and management for workplace application in the greening and landscaping industry of Hong Kong. In addition, the Programme reflects shifting values in the turfgrass management. These include a greater emphasis on the notion of sustainable development and the multi-disciplinary nature of the greening and landscaping industry. Furthermore, the Programme will prepare students to pursue lifelong professional development.
Qualified teaching staff will include teachers from experienced specialists and professionals in the related field from both the public and private sectors.
- graduates of a QF Level-3 programme that is deemed acceptable to the Faculty Dean concerned; or
- relevant Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) qualification(s) at QF Level 3; or
- other relevant verifiable prior learning and/or working experience that is/are deemed appropriate by the Faculty Board concerned. Mature applicants at the age of 21 or above with at least one year of relevant experience may apply for admission as well. For applicants considered on a case-by-case basis and for mature applicants, a pass in the admission interview is required.
Applicants with award(s) in relevant stream(s) will be considered case-by-case. Individual module exemption may be granted subject to THEi’s Academic Policies and Regulations.
12 months to 24 months
Part-time, weekday evening and/or weekend classes
Tuition Fee and Caution Money
Total HK$36,400 (HK$36,000 being the tuition fee and HK$400 being the caution money), for AY2019/20 only.
Class will run subject to sufficient enrolments. In the unlikely instance where a class has to be cancelled, cheques received for payment of tuition fee and caution money will be returned to applicants.
Assessment and Award
A student is eligible for the Professional Certificate in Turfgrass Science and Management award if all of the following conditions are satisfied:
- Accumulation of 48 Credit Points;
- Achieve a minimum average pass mark of 40% across all assessment items for each module. Supplementary exam or re-submission of assessment items would be arranged within 3 months of the end date of each module.
Medium of Instruction
Cantonese and English
Technological and Higher Education Institute of Hong Kong (Chai Wan Campus)
133 Shing Tai Road, Chai Wan, Hong Kong
Class - AY2019/20 (Tentative Schedule)
Monday evening & Thursday evening
First batch application: closed on 14 June 2019 (Friday)
Second batch application: closed on 19 July 2019 (Friday)
Thrid batch application: closed on 23 August, 2019 (Friday)
Late Application: Extended to 9 September, 2019 (Monday)
Fees are subject to annual reviews. THEi reserves the right to cancel any programme/class, revise programme content or change the class commencement date/class venue if circumstances so warrant.