||Design and Environment
||Professional Diploma in Horticulture, Arboriculture and Landscape Management
||THEi (Chai Wan Campus)
Remarks: With effect from 2020/21 academic year, this new programme title will be used. The programme title before 2020/21 academic year was 'Professional Diploma in Horticulture and Landscape Management'.
||Professional Diploma in Horticulture, Arboriculture and Landscape Management is recognised under the QF
|QF Level: 4
||QR Registration No.: 20/000212/L4
||Registration Validity Period: 01/09/2020 to 31/08/2027
This programme is one of the eligible programs under Vplus Subsidy Scheme for supporting students admitted to designated professional part-time programmes offered by VTC. Vplus Subsidy Scheme is supported by the HKSAR Government for promotion of lifelong learning of working adults to pursue higher qualifications geared towards upward mobility. Successful applicants will be refunded 60% of the tuition fees of eligible programmes, subject to a maximum of $45,000 per person. Vplus Subsidy Scheme - Vplus Engineering details.
This professional programme (PDHALM) is designed essentially to meet the demands from the industry for horticultural and arboricultural practitioners as well as landscape works supervisors. It provides a broad-based framework for the study level (Level 4) modules, and emphasizes horticultural principles and practices, plant science, tree risk assessment and landscape management, blending together the essential intellectual and practical skills that match the industry’s requirements best. Students will be awarded an intermediate award, namely, Professional Certificate in Horticulture and Arboriculture (PCHA), upon satisfactory completion of the first four core modules.
The programme will be delivered by face-to-face instruction. Within the 280 contact hours, various methods will be employed to facilitate learning and teaching, such as lecture, tutorial, workshop, practical session and site visit. By enrolling this programme, students will acquire the value, knowledge and skill for lifelong learning, and enhanced employability to enter the rapidly growing landscape and greening industry.
Both Professional Diploma (PDHALM) and Professional Certificate (PCHA) programmes are recognized as “Academic Qualifications” of Arborist, and as “Academic/Professional Qualifications” of Tree Risk Assessor, in vetting application for Arborists and Tree Risk Assessors under Registration Scheme for Tree Management Personnel of Hong Kong SAR Government.
Graduates are eligible to apply for memberships of (subject to fulfilment of additional requirement on relevant working experience as appropriate):
- Accredited Arborist of the Hong Kong Institute of Landscape Architects
- Technician Membership of the Arboricultural Association (UK)
- Membership of the Chartered Institute of Horticulture (UK)
Academic and Professional articulation pathway
Graduates are eligible to apply for QF level 5 degree program Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Horticulture, Arboriculture and Landscape Management Top up Year 3 entry (Part-time or Full-time mode) given that they had at least five years of relevant working experience. Study duration is around 2 to 3 years for part-time mode and 2 years for full time mode.
Qualified teaching staff will include teachers from experienced specialists and professionals in the related field from both the public and private sectors.
- Five HKDSE subjects at Level 2 or above, including English Language and Chinese Language, or equivalent, with at least 1 year’s relevant working experience; or
- 5 passes in the HKCEE (including English Language – Grade E/ Level 2) or equivalent, with at least 1 year’s relevant working experience; or
- Mature applicants at the age of 21 or above by the commence day of the targeted round of programme offering, with at least 1 year’s relevant working experience.
Applicants with award(s) in relevant stream(s) will be considered case-by-case. Individual module exemption may be granted subject to THEi’s Academic Policies and Regulations.
Approximately 1 year for the Professional Diploma (PDHALM); and
Approximately 6 months for the Professional Certificate (PCHA).
Part-time, weekday evening and/or weekend classes
Tuition Fee and Caution Money
Program tuition fee and approximate amount of Vplus subsidy are listed below:
(approximate amount) #
Tuition fee After Vplus Subsidy (approximate amount) #
# Enrolled students should apply for Vplus subsidy Scheme and submit necessary documents for approval on their own sake. The tuition fee will be reimbursed by instalments at the end of each term of the programme upon successful completion. The above subsidy is calculated based on current Vplus subsidy scheme, please refer to Vplus Subsidy Scheme website for latest arrangement, and is subject to change.
*HK$400 will be collected as the caution money during application
Class will run subject to sufficient enrolments. In the unlikely instance where a class has to be cancelled, cheques received for payment of tuition fee and caution money will be returned to applicants.
Assessment and Award
A student is eligible for the Professional Diploma in Horticulture, Arboriculture and Landscape Management (PDHALM) award if all of the following conditions are satisfied:
- Accumulation of 80 QF Credit Points;
- Attend at least 70% of contact hours for each module;
- Achieve a minimum average pass mark of 40% across all assessment items for each module. Supplementary exam or re-submission of assessment items would be arranged within 3 months of the end date of each module at the discretion of the module convenor.
Intermediate Exit Award
A student is eligible for the Professional Certificate in Horticulture and Arboriculture (PCHA) award if all of the following conditions are satisfied:
1. Accumulation of 48 QF Credit Points;
2. Attend at least 70% of contact hours for each of the four designated modules;
3. Achieve a minimum average pass mark of 40% across all assessment items for each designated module. Supplementary exam or re-submission of assessment items would be arranged within 3 months of the end date of each module at the discretion of the module convenor.
Medium of Instruction
Teaching Material in English, delivered in Cantonese
Technological and Higher Education Institute of Hong Kong (Chai Wan Campus)
133 Shing Tai Road, Chai Wan, Hong Kong
AY2023/24 Class A - Target to be commenced in October 2023
Monday and/or Wednesday evening
Saturday morning and/or Saturday afternoon
AY2023/24 Class B - Target to be commenced in March 2024
Tuesday and/or Thursday evening
Saturday morning and/or Saturday afternoon
AY2023/24 Class A
Mid July 2023 to Early September 2023 (to be confirmed)
Please click here to apply via VTC Continuing & Professional Education website.
Proof of Work Experience
Note on the doument of proof for applicant's work experience.
For Current Work Experience:
- Duly filled and signed "Proof of work experience" form by current employer (Click here to download), OR
- Empolyment contract, reference letter
For Previous Work Experience:
- Employment contract, letter of service, reference letter (which clearly state your name, job title, job duty, working period) issued by employer / representative of employer will be accepted as a proof of previous jobs, OR
- Duly filled and signed "Proof of work experience" form by past employer (Click here to download)
Fees are subject to annual reviews. THEi reserves the right to cancel any programme/class, revise programme content or change the class commencement date/class venue if circumstances so warrant.
Tel: 3890 8323